Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Strelok: Submachine Gun

Eichenlaubmuster camouflage.
I've had this Bolt Action itch for a while now.  I do also have a huge lead pile to get through.

So I decided to try out some Bolt Action paint schemes on my Ariadna miniatures to freshen me up a bit from the pain that is trying to paint multicam.
Faded oakleaf pattern.
The first scheme that I've always been curious about it the SS Oakleaf pattern.  It's the curious mix of orange and brown but it still looks achievable as it's lots of dots.

Brighter oakleaf pattern.
The helmet is actually a very nice arrangement- light brown base, dark brown splotches of varying size with variable orange blobs WITHIN the brown spots and blobs.  The occasional light brown blob is also interspersed within the dark brown mass.

First attempt... and final attempt- you think this is going to Golden Demon?
I then went hunting around for various online guides of which there are several.  The easiest one to follow was this one from Paint All The Minis.  

For all of you too lazy to click the link the colours are: 

1) BASE COAT- Vallejo German Camo Pale Brown
2) Vallejo Chocolate Brown
3) Vallejo Orange Brown

There was an interesting detail in that some of the orange blobs were outside the dark brown blobs which I think makes the miniature look more messy.

Orange inside dark brown only.
I decided to keep the orange blobs within the dark brown areas.  This helps the orange blobs pop out a bit more (as they have a dark border).

That being said I did mix my Orange blobs with a bit of Chocolate Brown to mute the orange down a bit to create a faded effect.  (I don't think I'll do that next time as I like saturated colours).

The importance of black lining the seams and a dilute back wash to the folds of the hood have to be emphasized.  Otherwise the model looks like a blob.

Bit of free hand.
The pouches on the webbing I painted with Vallejo Heavy Green and then highlighted up with German Field Grey, Grey Green and finally a bit of Deck Tan mixed in.  

You can probably tell that by the time I got the gloves I was sick of it and went from Heavy Green base coat to a Grey Green highlight and moved onto the detailing.

A simple "fangs" glyph- reminiscent of a Dark Millenium 40,000 years in the future- was painted with black base and then painting VGC Ghost Grey in the middle of the black with a fine pointed brush.

Back pack done as usual.
I usually try and do all the straps the same colours- but found that the more muted green straps on the pants just looked better.

Summary Photo.
I'll do a second Strelok since one of my projected lists runs two submachine gun Streloks.  

I look forward to doing a few more WW2 schemes.

Until next time- happy hobbying.







No comments:

Post a Comment