Thursday, July 4, 2013

Support By Fire

I've finally been able to finish the last of my RUSK troopers.  These were primarily the crew served support weapons that will be Zulu Platoon's SBF (support by fire).

The support weapons pack comes with a few options for the little guys.

My first choice was a .50 cal on a tripod.  This will be an absolute menace to infantry and light vehicles that stray into it's field of fire.

.50 Cal equivalent on tripod
Next choice was a mortar!  Every infantry unit needs it's own personal artillery to hit those hard to reach places.  It looks like a squat little thing, but suitably deadly.

Rounds complete!

I did have a little gripe about the original mortar model- it had some prominent defects!  I broke out the milliput- and using my mediocre skills and tools (a model knife and fingers!) I filled in the holes.  The end result is ok, but I was a little disappointed especially since the rest of the models from Black Hat were top notch!

Prominent defects!

After that there was a grenade launcher looking thing, which didn't excite me.  So I put a... I don't really know what it is.  I think I'll count it as a rapid fire laser or gauss weapon.  If you know what it is supposed to be, drop a message.

Gauss weapon... maybe?
As a side note, the Citadel Administratum Grey highlight is decidedly gluggy on these models.  Citadel paints are fantastic, but I've found that they don't last and tend of dry out much faster than Vallejo.  That gluggy look of the extreme highlights is the result of a drying out pot of Citadel paint.  

Finally, the hangers on!

Cat food!  Cat food!!!

An officer of some description and a few generic riflemen to sub into various squads about the place.  

The officer was a real joy to paint!  I've not painted skin tones for some time, and his hat had a nice red streak which breaks up the monotony of a uniform army.  


Until next time, happy gaming!


4 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have stumbled on your blog- I love your treatment of the Armies Army Rusks- I'm quite a fan of the figures too. There is some great painting throughout your blog- real eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! I have to admit that I originally got the RUSK models as OpFor for the Crusties- but they are so good that they've become my favourite.

      Some armour is on the way so hopefully they won't be creamed by the Crusty walkers in the next TW battle.

      Delete
    2. Have you got any of the Neo-Brits from the same stable? I have a few painted up on my blog, and there are others worth looking at on other blogs. I like the quirky nature of the minis- a bit of character! The GZG crusties look great too, I'll keep looking infor further developments!

      Delete
    3. No, no Neo-Brits as yet. I'm trying hard to paint what I've got. I will totally clean out my 15mm by years end- that's my goal. I have to admit, I do like the Army's Army style too.

      Delete