Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Ariadna Scout

Rule 1: All guns are always loaded.
I finally got this figure finished!

Originally I thought this was going to be a quick model to paint- but how wrong I was....



Rule 2: Don't point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy
I was defeated by the camouflage- repeatedly!

Rule 3: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
And then after the camouflage was sorted out there was the whole tedious process of doing details.

Rule 4: Know your target and our backstop.
Still- because of the monstrous effort that went into getting a supposedly quick model done it has turned out very well indeed!

Fold highlights are good highlights.
My favourite part of the model are the highlights I did on the hood and sleeves.  They turned out really well!

Painting Notes- Camouflage Cloak

Cam cloak.
The camouflage cloak was painted dark sand.

This should be the starting point.

Don't do this!
I ruined the cloak experimenting and had to paint over it.  It was very frustrating... many curses were thrown at the model.

So start with VMC Dark Sand.

Then....

Start painting big patches.
Paint BIG patches of GREEN.  Use VMC Military Green.  I didn't have that colour so I made a mix of VMC Cam Olive Green (70.894) and VGC Dark Green.

Paint BIG (but smaller) patches of BROWN.  VMC Flat Brown is suggested by Angel Giraldez.  I didn't have that colour so I mixed VMC Chocolate Brown with a touch of VMC Flat Earth.

Paint DOTS.  I snapped a tooth pick in half and then dotted the patches periodically with VMC Dark Sand.  It starts creating an almost Flecktarn camouflage look.

Start your washing!
WASH.  At this point I created a wash of Chocolate Brown mixed with Black and began painting it into the recesses.  I then used a second wash of very thin black wash and painted it into the deeper grooves and seams.

Start highlighting.
Finally it's time to do the highlighting.  On the raised, sharp edges of the cloak- paint Dark Sand.  It really makes the ridges pop out.  I also highlighted on either side of the seams on the sleeves and the hood.  That also makes the cloak stand out more.

There is a much more thorough method by Angel Giraldez (whose techniques I used HEAVILY for this model- bless that man amongst men!!!) where he demonstrates it on a Scots Guard.  I would suggest you also read his method before attempting the camouflauge.  He paints two different coloured dots and starts with a Flat Brown patch.

Done!
This definitely good enough for table top so now it's time to get on with the rest of Ariadna.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment