Thursday, December 1, 2016

Desperado- Shotgun

Bad to the bone.
This is the second Desperado that I sped paint into the tournament.

He turned out quite well despite me cutting corners on the blending and the highlights- mainly because of Minoaturo Studio awesome techniques for painting muscle and and backpacks!  I've used it for all my Ariadna miniatures and I can safely say that it is by far and away the most "pop" parts of the miniatures.

Anyways- on with the slide show.


Rack that shotgun!
Good muscles.
Red wunz go fasta!

Now about this NMM business....

My Cut Price Studio Giraldez' NMM

You will need an airbrush!  

Why did I use an airbrush?  I wanted it to be fast and with smooth blending.  After that tiring experience with the Maverick and then the Gecko 'Blackjack'- I wanted to get the bikes done pronto.

The key points.

Step 1- Black primer

Step 2- First highlight: VMC DARK GREY.  I have to stress that this is NOT a basecoat.  This is a zenithal highlight (i.e. spray down on the bike at about 45 degrees).

Step 3- Second highlight: mix Dark Grey and White 30:70.  At this point you should spray within the existing highlight (imagine spraying a small circle within an existing circle).

Step 4- Edge in white to distinguish panels on their upper edges (i.e. the ones that would catch and then reflect the light).

Step 5- Final highlight with white (within the existing Dark Grey and White highlight).  This provides the ultimate "point" highlight.

Step 6- Make a black wash and brush it into the recesses of the bike to assist with the contrast.  You may try to wash the darker parts of the flat panels to again increase contrast.

Step 7- Glaze the bikes metals with blue ink to finish.   (I used Vallejo Game Blue Ink watered down with water until it was faint).

 Further tips from Angel Giraldez' facebook are:

-       4 drops paint, 2 drops thinner, 2 drops water

-       1.8 barr = 26PSI for pressure settings

-       Wash paint:water = 6:1, glaze is paint:water 10:1

I'm don't have shares in Angel Giraldez' company- but I would highly recommend his book.  It is such a good step by step guide.  Great resource!

Now a final montage...

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment