Sunday, August 4, 2013

Rivers

I've been snowed under by work recently so I have done precious little painting.  However, I will show some of the rivers I painted.

A river part

I had a sniff around on the internet for rivers- being a bit of a lazy modeller at the best of times- and found that the model rivers (pre made) were either too expensive or too difficult to get in Australia.

So I hopped on line and found Amera Plastic Mouldings- a company that makes vacuum moulds of various terrain pieces.  I'll give you the link here.  My order was prompt in arriving and of reasonable quality (great for such a cheap price!).

I prepped the mould by applying a thick layer of PVA glue to the sandy parts and then sprinkling sand over the top quite liberally.  I tried thinning the PVA out but it failed badly- go full strength!

(Be aware that inadvertent "spots" where PVA hasn't been applied will appear.  I was a bit disconcerted at first- but you can cover them with static grass or clumps when you're performing the final touch ups.)

Once that was done, I spray painted the whole thing with Chaos Black and started working on the river edges.

Algae on the side thanks!

I used Citadel Goblin Green to paint a little edge over some of the outcrops to simulate some shallow water.  I kept my paints wet and thin the whole time!  KEY POINT!


I then followed the edge of the green with a darker green- and keeping the paints wet- I blended the two together just on their adjacent margins.


Following that- I dumped a whole lot of Citadel Enchanted Blue into my palette- thinned it down and applied it onto the river surface.  With a big brush- much less tedious that way.  I blended some of the blue with the algae green- letting it appear to be a more natural transition.

With the river water surface done, I dry brushed various browns and tans over the "sand" of the banks and then stuck down some clumps and static grass to break up the monotony of the dark soil.

I haven't got around to it yet, but to finish properly I'll apply gloss varnish to the river surface so it reflects more natural light to make it appear more realistic.

I will get some gaming in- but I need to sort out Real Life first.

Until next time, Happy Gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment