Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Photo Looks Better Than It Actually Is....

I'm coming for your bananas!!!!
For the uninitiated, this is a 28mm science fiction model from a game called "Infinity."

He is a "Morat" which is a kind of angry space monkey.  Let's call him Caesar after that evil chimp from Planet of the Apes.



No, Infinity is not related to Zombies and it's not GamesWorkshop- but someone told me I only needed 7 models to play this game.  And I can paint 7 models right?  Right?  Well after a weekend spent at a nerd convention, I was convinced I could do it in a month and enthusiastically put brush to model.

Things are going poorly!  As I've blundered about, demoralizing myself by choosing a paint scheme that translates into very average, I've had plenty of time to curse my damn hubris.  Caesar looked better with just primer!

Araldyte me before painting, come one- you want the challenge!
Firstly, I should've grabbed some ugly peon to test paint and not a key figure in my support team.

Secondly, DON'T ARALDYTE THE MODEL BEFORE PAINTING THE DETAILS!

Thirdly, Caesar looks like a hairy Eldar Aspect Warrior wannabe and not some mud sucking knuckle dragging ape!!  Just wait till I paint his face plate white- there won't be any doubt then that he's the bastard child of a horny Exarch and a monkey.

Caesar representing Corvus Belli and Mr. Massive representing GW

It's times like this I learn to appreciate the degree of hobby support Games Workshop puts out to support it's products.  I'm not talking about rules and balance and updates and all that jazz- which really, most people could debate forever.  I'm talking about super basic:

"BLACK TEMPLAR SPACE MARINE = BLACK ARMOUR with WHITE PAULDRON.  This is a simple White Dwarf guide to achieving this look.  We used X base coat.  Y Highlights."

Something like that.

Unfortunately, my reference material has been a few images from the internet- all excellent quality models- and me trying to rack my brains to produce similar sexy colour schemes.

And failing.

I look on my 15mm moderns and sci-fi models and it boggles my mind that I can't translate realistic looking armour between that scale and 28mm.

Caesar discusses realistic combat body armour with Private Jones.  "Multicam is easier than flat colours, trust me."

I really need to keep myself away from these conventions.  The temptation is just too much.

Seven bloody models.

1 month.

Challenge accepted.

Hand over the bananas.
Oh... and I'll NEVER prime in grey primer again.

Chaos Black all the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment