Sunday, April 7, 2013

How Do Your Weapons Work?

I finished my second walker today after a very busy week at work.

Woke up this morning with brilliant autumn sunshine coming through my window and I figured I'd finish this little guy and take some photos.  (My daylight bulbs just don't compare to natural sunlight). 

Stalking forward

Having learned a few key lessons from walker number 1, the whole process wasn't as drawn out and painful.  Knowing how it was going to turn out was a great motivator in getting him complete.

Cool looking weapon
The heavily inspired District 9 -style weaponry looks extra cool.  I've always struggled with reds- finding that my highlights make the whole thing look orange more than red.  But the Khorne Red (maroon) base and bright red highlight and lazy dry brush really helps.


Walking away

I thought about painting a design on the back panel but I lack the artist talent to paint one of those District 9 'gang' signs that the Prawns have on their shacks.

Bright blue eyes
The eyes are serviceable.  I'm not super happy with them- I think OSL (objective source lighting- i.e. 'glow') would make them look super great- but until I find a good (and fast!) way of doing OSL I won't risk mucking up my paint job.

If anyone is interested, the base is a combination of beach sand (Australia has incredibly fine powder like sand on it's beaches) and some "Faller: Streumaterial >>Quarz<<" (Quartz bits) glued on or milliputted on.

I then mixed some watered down Chaos Black and PVA and soap, inked the base and allowed it to dry.  A quick drybrush with Citadel Zandri Dust for dirt and Citadel Administratum Grey for the rocks followed.  Finally there was a touch of Zap-A-Gap for the Citadel Mordheim Tufts.

BTW- if anyone has a good way of obscuring the white plastic base of the tufts, feel free to post a comment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment