Tuesday, October 6, 2015

USAriadna: Marauder with Flamer

AVP- Colonial Marine flamer unit.
Just kidding- it's a Marauder from USAriadna with some strong Aliens overtones.  He even looks slightly Imperial Guard Kasrkin.  Either way those flamers are good for burning those pesky aliens away!

I was not very keen on this miniature at first but now the coats of paint are on he looks much better than how I envisaged him and can't wait to use him on the table top.

There was a lot of thought put into how to paint this figure but eventually I gave in and painted him a la studio scheme with a few minor variations.  

Pouches and straps.
To try and keep some consistency I painted the main pouches as per my Grunt.  I experimented with painting the straps green which worked out quite well so I'll probably maintain it for the next few miniatures.  

The other straps I painted with Chocolate brown, highlighted with English Uniform and then finished with Medium Grey.  

The MOLLE on his back I painted with Khaki, washed Chocolate brown and then highlighted with Medium Grey.

Non metallic metal... sort of.
Non Metallic Metal

The flamer bottle was a hard thing to try and paint.  

I base coated it with Citadel The Fang.  Then I progressively added VGC Cold Grey on a wet palette and highlighted up.  Eventually I got frustrated and went straight to VGC Ghost Grey- thinned it out a tiny amount- and then put in the final highlight on the edges.

Visor highlight is like a gem.
Visor

The first thing I did was mix VGC Hot Orange and VGC Sun Yellow 50:50 on a wet palette.  Then I took a small dollop of this mix, and added a small amount of black.

This ends up producing a kind of brown that can be used as a base of the lens.  Then adding gradually more Orange/Yellow mix, I was able to highlight the lens higher and higher before having a final highlight of mostly Yellow.  

Now it's varnished, I'm going to do a few final touch ups and then progress onto the next figure.

Until next time, happy hobbying.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Once I get to about 200 points- USAriadna will make a show at the club.

      Delete