Monday, March 17, 2014

The Oznat: Lysistrata

Looking down at something.
This is an Oznat and I have named her "Lysistrata".

She was an absolute pain to put together and tricky to paint.  I'm glad it is over and look forward to using her in a game.  More specifically, turning the 5 point Pretas into 5 point REGULAR order contributors.  Of course, when that happens, these cheap throw away units will become more protected than the pampered pooches of the rich and famous!



So what was difficult to put together?

The left arm (wielding the sword)- fell off twice.

The head- fell off six times!

I didn't pin the miniature.  The joins were so small I didn't even try for fear of wrecking the the model.

Bone sword
Painting the bone was a tricky proposition.  I initially painted it the same way that I painted bone on Warhammer miniatures.  Unfortunately it was markedly similar to the scheme I use for the Morat hair.

It was a base of dark brown (scorched earth equivalent), then successively drybrushed up with sandy coloured paints.  A final edge highlight of VMC Ivory finished it off.

And it looked ugly!

I tried to modify it by using Army Painter Strong Tone and then did a quick edge highlight with VMC Medium Grey.

Skirt turned out well
The skirt turned out well- it was simply VMC Camouflage Olive Green and did one edge highlight of Citadel Death World Forest.

Simple painting techniques sometimes produce the best results!

Chin down, loftily gaze down at the enemy.
The combi rifle and grenade launcher turned out well.  I was really impressed with the new sculpt of the weapon.  It looks modern, awesome and deadly!

Until next time, happy gaming!

5 comments:

  1. Well done bloke, I had the same troubles. I ended up using a combination of green stuff and super glue on both arms and the head. Absolutely, shockingly fragile piece.
    Your colour scheme is spot on too buddy. I was getting worried about painting mine, until I saw this. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take shape until the last set of highlights- that's what I've found with my painting. It looked ugly right up until I finished it.

      My only advice with painting it would be to stick to your scheme right up until you're done.

      If it's great- then great, and if it's only good- then you've picked up a few tricks for your next miniature. To enjoy the process of creating (and not worry too much about the outcome) helps demolish that paralysis that stops me from picking up the brush in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I've just put my own Oznat together last night. Everything went well. The key for me was to score the arm joints then use super glue and a tiny bit of greenstuff, worked perfectly first time. The head I drilled and pinned as a figured the long train of hair was going to be my undoing and again that worked really well. Now I'm going to work on my Pretas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking your advice on board- I just put together Anyat with tiny amounts of green stuff and some Zap-a-Gap. It's worked quite well- much better than the araldyte/ superglue shenanigans of before. Thanks!

      Delete