Saturday, April 5, 2014

Raktorak: Belisarius

OP's gone full potato
I finished off this model today with the aim of putting him into a Sogarat link team.  Yes, it may be a bad idea- but just like the double Raicho lists (at 300 points)- it has to be put to the test and documented so other bright sparks can use it as a point of reference.

And I have a fondness for the absurd....
I enjoyed painting this guy a lot actually!  Doing all the 'black' highlighting got a bit tedious and his oddly splayed stance meant that I was continually picking him up and taking paint off- but overall, he was that nice mix of armour plate (easy to paint!), clothing (also easy to paint!) and minimal hair!  I hate painting hair.

Minimal hair... das it mane.
The weapon was a bit of a triumph and a bit of a let down.  I was very happy with the 'flamer' effect on the weapon barrel.  I 'reverse highlighted' the barrel backwards with progressively lighter shades of metallic bronze and gold.  That made a striking flamer look which made me fondly recall Prometheus' flamer.

Then I worked on the receiver's glowing vents.  And that didn't go so well.  I was bit too heavy handed with the blues and it came off a touch thick- especially on the top of the receiver.  I also wonder if it clashes with the metallic barrel- with the two parts competing for attention from the audience.

Looking solid, thick, tight.... n-no Homer.
I also really enjoyed painting the red part of the helmet.

I don't know why.

It just really made me happy to get that bit done.  Possibly because it made the helmet really standout from the rest of the model.

U mirin?  U better be...
I had to repaint the back because my fingers had inadvertently rubbed off some of the paint!

The glowing myo-fibres were cool to paint.   The initial base coat didn't look that great, but a few highlights later.  Excellent!

Looking for a link team to flame... Pepper your angus!
Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. You may have to read up on that link team thing. I don't own the books, but I'm sure someone told me that the Raktorak can only link with Suryats. If I'm wrong please correct me, coz a link team with Sogarats would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he can only link with Suryats, but I think a lot of people will proxy him as Kornak, who can link with Sogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are! I'll have to proxy him as Kornak for now.

      Delete